NMSF Annual Green Chile Cheeseburger Challenge to Take Place Monday, September 15
Local restaurants compete for title of Best Green Chile Cheeseburger in New Mexico
WHAT: 2014 NMSF Green Chile Cheeseburger Challenge
NMSF Annual Special Event
In association with
The New Mexico Department of Agriculture
WHEN: Event – Monday, September 15th – in the afternoon
WHERE: Main Street, Agriculture Building Courtyard
– New Mexico State Fair – Albuquerque
WHO: New Mexico restaurants are eligible
Entry: Deadline to enter contest is 5:00PM August 13th
GUIDELINES AND PROCEDURES
- Participation is limited to 10 established restaurants that do business and pay taxes in New Mexico and are located within New Mexico. If there are more than 10 entries, a drawing by lot will determine the contestants.*
- Entrants must provide their own cooking equipment and materials including grill, ingredients and a canopy no larger than 12 X 12 to cover the food prep area. Canopies: ‘pop-up’ tents must be made of a flame retardant fabric which includes the manufacturer’s tag affixed on the fabric stating as such.
- Each competitor will be allowed 4 personnel within the confined area. They will be given necessary gate passes for the day. One vehicle will also be allowed entry through Gate 6 for setup. The vehicle must be moved to the designated parking area before the competition.
- Competitors are encouraged to decorate their canopies to gain promotional representation and so the general public will know who is cooking and prepping for the contest.
- Participants will be allowed access to the area at 8:00AM on the day of the contest in order to be ready for inspections by appropriate health, and safety agency representatives starting at 1:00PM.
- Once all contestants have passed inspection, an order to “fire up your grill” will be given at approximately 3:30PM. This will allow contestants to “test cook” and prepare for the contest.
- NMSF AND/OR ON-SITE COORDINATOR RESERVES THE OPTION TO ALTER OR REVISE ACTUAL START-UP TIME.
- Each participant will be notified in advance of the time when the judges will taste their entry.
- Cooking will be done outdoors on a closed, self contained propane grill within the confines of the competition area on Main Street, Agriculture Building Courtyard.
- The Fair will provide necessary fire extinguishers and trash receptacles. Potable water is available in the area.
- All burger cooking must be done on-site during the competition.
- All ingredients must promote New Mexico agribusiness and include a meat or vegetable patty, cheese and Green Chile. Optional ingredients and any condiments may be used. Ingredients can be “premixed” and do not have to be disclosed.
- GREEN CHILE must be from a New Mexico ‘home grown’ location.
- Lineup/cooking position will be determined by lot, which will be done after all entrants have been chosen and qualified.
- A $25 fee must accompany all applications and is non-refundable.
- Entries must be received by Friday, August 13th at 5:00pm.
- The drawing for positions will be held on Tuesday, August 19th and contestants will be notified at that time.
- The competition area will be secured for the protection of the public.
- Judging will occur in the courtyard of the Agriculture Building in close proximity to the NMDA Country Store.
- Individual complete burgers must be delivered to four judges who will sample portions at staggered times so they are hot and juicy. The entry is one complete burger.
- The competition requires adherence to prevailing codes and rules of the New Mexico State Fair, the New Mexico State Fire Marshal and the New Mexico Environment Department.